Thursday, July 21, 2011

Daily Doodle 7/21/11 DADDY


My dad and I like to give each other a hard time. We tease relentlessly and sometimes find one another extremely offensive. He doesn't understand how we've come to sit on opposite sides of the spectrum in political and social views, but he taught me to be fair and open to listen. He is also fair and open to listening. He also taught me to stand up for myself and to speak my mind, which I'm sure he regrets every time we drink a little too much and start discussing the topics of unjust wars and our country's financial calamities.

My dad is a special guy. He is 62 years old and in better shape than I am. He runs half marathons and kicks butt in all of his classes at his gym. He served his country for 24 years and had a great career in the US Navy. He has seen a lot, has done a lot, and I value his life experiences from growing up on a rural farm in West Virginia to hot-stepping through the nightlife and steak dinners in Hong Kong. Thinking of all of his positive attributes and the progressive life choices he's made helps me overlook that he thinks he's a Republican. :)

The caricature I make of my dad has not evolved much over the last 25 years I've been drawing and doodle making. It is how I always see him.

Salute, Papá!
Ciao!
Char

No comments:

Post a Comment