Friday, November 16, 2007

The Reecie: A Sandwich.

The Reecie is a grilled sandwich inspired by my friend Charisse's Brie Bake which was a big hit at my Winter Social. Ah, the days of hosting dessert parties. This sandwich is such an easy way to treat yourself to a 1 person party on those cold hectic days when you need to decompress from the holiday stress.

2 slices of Honey Oat Bread
Brie
Raspberry Jam
Butter

Butter each bread slice on one side. Place them butter side down. Spread the raspberry jam on 1 bread slice. Be sure to cover the whole slice so you get raspberry in every bite. Next, place 1/4 inch brie slices* on the bread slice with the raspberry jam. The brie does not have to cover the entire surface of the bread since it will melt and ooze out while heating. I recommend leaving a 1/4 inch of "seam allowance" from the edge of the bread to the cheese, and 1/4 inch in between the cheese pieces. Cover with the 2nd piece of bread, butter side up.

Place the sandwich in a skillet that has been preheated over a low-medium temperature. After about 4 minutes, flip and cook the other side for about 4 to 5 minutes. The sandwich is done when both sides are golden and the brie has melted. Note: If the temperature is too high, the bread will brown before the cheese melts so monitor the flame carefully.

Enjoy with a glass of Moscato d'Asti while listening to Ravi Shankar's Raag Bihag (Late Evening Raag).

happy cooking. xoxo



*I leave the rind on, but for those who don't like it, feel free to remove it.

4 comments:

  1. Seam allowance for a sandwich? That's awesome. I have to make this one sometime soon. But I think I might try it with apricot rather than raspberry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, Seam allowance. Ooh Apricot. That would be yummy. I made the sandwich with blueberry jam the other day. Have you gone to the farmer's market? I've gone to the one in Union Square 2 weekends in a row now. Stay tuned for "The Char Makes a trip to the Farmers Market". They've set up all the Holiday Booths... Ah! Christmas is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... and I had my sandwich with a vodka tonic. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a good drink to have with the Reecie.
    I haven't been to Union Square in a while...I'm moving and I haven't had a weekend for fun stuff in way too long. It always looks so festive around the holidays. Looking forward to the post.

    ReplyDelete