Thursday, March 1, 2012

Washi Crafts


Detail of the Washi paper I chose for my projects.


8 Sided box from January 19th

Table Organizer from March 1st (Rabbit Rabbit)

Acorn charm also from March 1st.
Here at Atsugi Base there is a wonderful Non Profit Organization called AESA (Atsugi Enlisted Spouse Association) that sponsors a weekly Washi Craft Class that is free to all of the attendees.  After participating in a washi class in January, I decided to become a member of AESA in support of all the wonderful ways this organization contributes to our community.

In Washi Class yesterday, we made a table organizer.  I was thinking it would be a cute organizer for people who wear make-up.  I can just imagine various brushes, pencils, liners, and eyelash curlers in it.  For me, it's more realistic that I'll be using it for my ridiculous amounts of pens and art supplies.  Oh, and these boxes are made of milk cartons!

Last night, at the monthly AESA General Meeting, the Washi Class teacher Mickey-san came to lead a special activity and we learned how to make these beautiful charms!  We had a choice to make an acorn or a shell, and I chose to make an acorn.  All you need is beautiful thread, glue, something to wrap the thread around, and some patience.  I am now proud to be a charm clad cell phone owner.

xoxo
happy community
Char


No comments:

Post a Comment