Saturday, August 8, 2009

Fresh Pasta


Since finding myself in an over abundance of zucchini, I've been searching high and low for creative ways to use the vegetable...

In the last week and a half, I've eaten zucchini bread, grilled zucchini, sauteed zucchini, zucchini in a tomato pasta sauce, and zucchini in a coconut curry with black sea bass.... and left overs of every said dish several times.

Needing some inspiration from preexisting recipes I decided to look at the Food Network website. I ended up finding a recipe by Jamie Oliver for Penne Carbonara with Zucchini. After making it, I found the recipe to be quite greasy, and surprisingly a little too zucchini-y even for myself.

All was not lost; inspired by his most recently acquired kitchen gadget (his dad's pasta roller), Jeff decided to make our own pasta for the Carbonara. Instead of penne, we had home made fettucini! The pasta itself had such a fresh and clean quality to it, it was easy to overlook my disappointment in the sauce on the pasta. Ha.

Making pasta is incredibly easy, and anything uncooked can be frozen which is great to have on hand for quick future meals. I'm really excited about making more pasta in the future.

xoxo
happy noodles

4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous, I want to make pasta too! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Charisse!!! Come out West soon. I'm making Saffron Pasta tomorrow or Saturday. I'll post the recipe with pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH! Me jealous too! I wish all of my kitchen items weren't all packed in boxes right now...I can't wait to cook! Good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading, Mara! My favorite belongings are my dishes and cooking utensils right now; especially after being virtually nomadic last year!

    ReplyDelete