Tuesday, May 8, 2012

McNutty and Omar

Char Solo: 4/29
"The wind speaks not more sweetly to the giant oaks than to the least of all the blades of grass..."  from the Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
I've wanted a Marimo "pet" for several years and I finally got one!!!  Marimo are a green algae that grows in a ball shape and can get quite large.  My mom remembers an uncle of hers having a large marimo in a fish tank when she was just a girl.  I learned from Debbie's blog post, that the Ainu (indigenous people of Japan who now only live on Hokkaido) call them "water goblins".  These two algae balls are the perfect addition to my plant "pets".  They're pretty much hassle free and only need a weekly water change...  which is quite effortless since the water doesn't get dirty or smelly from waste (poo).  I debated for a long time what I wanted to name them, and the finally decided on Omar and McNutty after characters from a TV show called The Wire.

Omar and McNutty in their glass home at sunset.


2 comments: